Thursday, July 18, 2013

Goings-on

It's summer! Yay!
I've been to Ultimate Camp and the interwebs. And my room. Hmm.
Actually though, this week from last Wednesday to last Friday, a couple of people from the SAAS robotics team have been prepping for a camp that we're doing for middle schoolers next week. And this week, we get to actually be councilors for middle schoolers. It's very exciting and very fun!
Also, I've switched to Arch Linux. Ubuntu just makes me too angry these days, and I no longer recommend it for GNU/Linux newbies (I'm recommending Mint now). Canonical is making more and more proprietary decisions - for example, Unity cannot be used on any distribution besides Ubuntu without serious effort. Also, take Mir - Mir fragments the already little-used GNU/Linux desktop, and it doesn't even do anything new. Developers are already putting GNU/Linux behind Windows and Mac - and now they potentially have to think about two display servers, meaning that the platform will look even less attractive. Not only that, but none of the concerns that the Mir team had about Wayland hold up - in fact, a Mir developer showed that he in fact knew nothing about how Wayland worked. Canonical's insane - they want to take on the burden of porting all the upstream toolkits themselves (oh, except for old ones like GTK+2 - but as we all know, GTK+2 is still in wide use). IMHO, this is crazy. It's a waste of resources. Canonical cannot play with others, and that's extremely frustrating. For example, Canonical thought that their upstream Wayland contributions wouldn't be accepted. They even offered that as a justification for Mir. But they never even tried. That's simply ridiculous, and not only that, but it's selfish. As the vendor of the most widely-used GNU/Linux distribution in the planet, Canonical has a responsibility to not do things that screw over the ecosystem. But recently it seems like they're getting Not Built Here syndrome more and more, and they're willing to do almost anything to meet that feeling, even at the cost of the rest of the ecosystem. It's saddening.
Anyway, I'm going to stop talking about that because it makes me angry. Other miscellaneous things that I'm doing: I'm planning to fully install and try Gentoo, NetBSD, Linux from Scratch, and finally, Plan 9 from Bell Labs (note that this is the only one that isn't a UNIX).
Yesterday (Tuesday) I attended a LibrePlanet Washington meeting, which was really fun. Among other things I am now into PGP/GPG and will be doing stuff with it soon.
Also, I am thinking of doing dev work on my favorite AUR wrapper, Yaourt. I'm also thinking I might work on grive, since Insync is no longer free (as in free beer).
I also attended GSLUG last Saturday, which was really cool.
I'm also getting into IRC again. I usually hang out in #archlinux, #plan9, #gnome, #gslug and (just recently - we only created it yesterday!) #libreplanet-wa, all on Freenode. Especially cool is the fact that I set up an irssi proxy on my server (which is now on the live internet, although strugee.net is still hosted on GitHub pages. The only problem is that it interferes with byobu/screen.
Also, I set up Postfix, so mail between local system users is enabled on my server (but external mail @strugee.net is not).
Anyway, I have to go to bed. There's probably more that I want to talk about, but whatever.
Oh, one last thing: I'm using Emacs now. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment goes here.