Tuesday, May 22, 2012

WHEEE LONG POST TO CATCH UP, PT. 1

Hi! I haven't updated this blog very seriously in a while, so this post is to catch up. Mostly.
Basically, I want to catch up on the development projects that I'm doing, then update regularly with stuff I do with them.
I now have a production server with a tiny 512 MB of RAM (before I wiped the hard drive it was running Windows 2000; that's how old this thing is), but that's ok because it doesn't have a graphical environment to suck up resources because it's running Ubuntu Server, which doesn't come with a graphical environment, only a command-line one. I also have a domain name, alexj.jumpingcrab.com, but it doesn't work yet due to the fact that my house's internet wireless station is blocking traffic. I'll get that sorted out eventually.
I also have or plan to have several (sub)subdomains from that:
  • emergence.alexj.jumpingcrab.com
    • This will eventually run my emergence-story project software; the website for this project can be found here and the GitHub repository can be found here. Yes, I'm using GitHub and I have a Google Site. More on that later.
  • bugzilla.alexj.jumpingcrab.com
    • As you may have guessed, this will eventually run an instance of Mozilla's Bugzilla bug tracking software. I'm still in the process of installing and configuring this.
    • I may also run into Apache (I'm using Apache2, in case you were wondering) configuration issues for this even after I actually get Bugzilla installed.
  • lmwtfy.alexj.jumpingcrab.com
    • I'm in the process of writing this software; lmwtfy stands for Let Me Wikipedia That For You. It's inspired by lmgtfy.com. I can't link to the GitHub repository or the website for it because neither exist yet. Hopefully by the time I write in depth about this, they will. As you've probably guessed by the previous sentence, more on this project later.
    • I have yet to actually set up the DNS record for this.
  • wiki.alexj.jumpingcrab.com
    • This will eventually run an instance of MediaWiki (which powers the Wikimedia Foundation's projects, including Wikipedia), and I once got to a setup page for this, but then I made a couple of changes and it's broken again. Someday!
  • hg.alexj.jumpingcrab.com (I think.)
    • I'm eventually going to run software that will mirror my GitHub repositories to a Mercurial (hg) instance that I'll run on my server. Something like this is done for Mozilla.
    • Then I'll find a way to publish hg commit logs and stuff through the web. Again, like Mozilla.
  • Possibly (but not likely) others that I have thought of, but am forgetting now.
  • Possibly others that I have thought of, but seriously am not sure about wanting to actually set up.
    • mail.alexj.jumpingcrab.com/imap.alexj.jumpingcrab.com/smtp.alexj.jumpingcrab.com/pop3.alexj.jumpingcrab.com/etc.
      • These, in case you didn't know, all have to do with mail. Basically, I'm saying that I might start running a mail server, and register the needed DNS records for them.
    • irc.alexj.jumpingcrab.com
      • Yep, I've kind of been thinking of running an IRC server. Whee!
  • Possibly others that I haven't thought of yet!
By the way, I use freedns.afraid.org for free DNS (and a free subdomain name - alexj.jumpingcrab.com - that I can use off a domain - jumpingcrab.com - that's been donated to freedns.afraid.org). It's awesome.
Yup. I was going to write a post way longer than this, but my friend is bugging me to post. So I'll finish it in a couple more parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment goes here.