Friday, August 2, 2013

Update on the new server

tl;dr, here is what's done:
  • SSH (kind of)
  • LVM
I haven't had a lot of time to do server stuff for today and yesterday, because I've been hanging out with people IRL *gasp*
However, the new server lives, albeit weirdly. Yesterday I spent a lot of time trying to fix the filesystem on the server before finally giving up and just making a tarball. So that took up like 6 hours of just waiting. Ugh! However then, as I said, I made a tarball and backed it up, and then proceeded to install Arch Linux. Funny story: I had to bring the server into my bathroom because it is the only room in the house that a. provides grounded sockets and b. is reachable with an Ethernet cable from the router (since the new server doesn't have a WiFi card), which I needed because Arch is a netinst distro these days. Then I had to go to bed. However, since LVM is part of the install process, I got that done.
Today I had very little time as I've been packing for a trip tomorrow. Therefore, I wasn't able to get a perfect setup, but it is workable for remote administration (so I can get most stuff done while traveling). The major flaw that you will notice in the current configuration is that if you have an existing account, you will end up back in alex-ubuntu-server. This is because something is wrong with my router and it is still forwarding connections to alex-ubuntu-server (which is still plugged in via Ethernet to allow for remote file migration). Therefore, if you previously had an account on alex-ubuntu-server, you will need to ssh to 192.168.0.19 from the Ubuntu console. Then you'll end up at steevie (which is the new server's hostname, btw).
Note: if you have a new account, you don't have to worry about this. I've put together some hackery on alex-ubuntu-server to allow you to login to steevie automagically. The only difference is you will have to type a very bad, very weak password that doesn't matter before you type your real password.
Other things will be done or turned on in the coming days, e.g. X11 forwarding, mail, etc.
9P will not be turned on, because I will need physical access to install Plan 9 and to reconfigure the router again. Anything external won't be turned on properly because, again, I'll need to reconfigure the router. For example, internal mail will be turned on but SMTP won't.
Anyway, I have to go pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment goes here.